I know I know, I complain all the time how hot it is in Dubai. But 130F plus humidity in the summer IS hot!! And when the winter gets to a "chilly" 72F, you just never get a break from the heat. But, like the title says, there are some positive aspects.
1) Christmas - so on that day, far from families and friends, Jason and I spent the day at the beach! We brought our 7-layer dip and played cards and sunbathed, pretty much what we do every weekend, but it being Christmas made it memorable. :)
2) Dubai Tennis - In February, Dubai has a tennis tournament with all the big names like Federer, Nadal, S. and V. Williams, Murray, etc. Having never seen tennis live, but being avid fans, Jason and I bought tickets to see the Women's Quarterfinals (we thought we'd see more of the big names, and we couldn't afford any higher ll). It was a fantastic day of sitting in lovely warm weather, eating nachos and drinking beer (yes beer!). And we got to see some GREAT tennis. Then just two weeks later David and Julia got free tickets to see the Men's Round 2, so MORE great tennis!! Unfortunately, Nadal didn't make it due to injury, and Federer pulled out for the same reason. But, tennis at that level is fantastic no matter who plays!
3) Call-in radio - (this has nothing to do with the heat) On our long daily drives, we listen to the radio quite a bit. This means that we probably knew of Kei$ha and Fireflies before you did. :) It also means that we get to text in for free stuff all the time! And last week Jason correctly named 5 things in an office in under 10 seconds, and won 4 free dinners to a restaurant named The Music Room! So we took David and Julia and had a fun night eating free food, drinking Strongbows, and listening to music. However, the band took to long to go on so we actually left before they started. But hey, free is free!
Overall, I have had my share of heat for 10+ years, but this time in Dubai will certainly be memorable ... in no small part to the fact that we are in the middle of the desert.
No comments:
Post a Comment